Saturday, February 5, 2011

No Whinning

"I fractured a disc in my spine in early November --was bedridden for three weeks..developed a cold for the next two weeks and it rained for five days where I was living at the time.  I'm 82 years old and starting to feel it.

Now Lord, you’ve known me a long time. You know me better than I
know my self. You know that each day I am growing older, and some
day may even be very old, so meanwhile please keep me from the habit
of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every
occasion.
Please keep me from trying to straighten out every ones affairs. Make
me thoughtful, but not moody, helpful but not overbearing. I’ve a
certain amount of knowledge to share; still it would be very nice to have
a few friends who, at the end, recognize and forgave the knowledge I
lacked,
Keep my tongue freed from the recital of endless details. Seal my lips
about my aches and pains; they increase daily and the need to talk about
them becomes almost a compulsion. I ask for grace enough to listen to
the telling of other’s afflictions, and to be helped to endure them with
patience.
I would like to have improved memory, but, I’ll settle for humility, and
an ability to capitulate when my memory clashes with the memory of
others. Teach me the glorious lesson that on some occasions, I may be
mistaken.
Keep me reasonably kind; I’ve never ascribed to be a saint...Saint’s must
be rather difficult to live with. Yet on the other hand, an embittered old
person is a constant burden.
Please give me the ability to see good in unlikely places and talents in
unlikely people. And, give me the grace to tell them so, dear Lord."
Author unknown


(Cary Grant @ closing of his presentation)

No comments:

Post a Comment